The WSFS Mark Protection Committee (MPC) is the only permanent committee of the World Science Fiction Society. It manages the intellectual property and service marks of WSFS, including “Worldcon” and “Hugo Award,” which are among the service marks (similar to trademarks) WSFS owns. The MPC is also responsible for the ongoing WSFS web sites (including this one), but not the sites of the individual Worldcon committees. Currently, the MPC has delegated management of the WSFS web sites to the Hugo Awards Marketing Committee, whose membership the MPC appoints annually at the MPC’s Annual General Meeting at Worldcon.
The MPC consists of nine elected members and a variable number of appointees. The WSFS Business Meeting elects three people annually for three year terms. The current, future seated, and past two Worldcons and NASFiCs appoint members to the MPC. Members’ terms end at the conclusion of the WSFS Business Meeting at the Worldcon of the relevant year. Convention appointees serve at the pleasure of their appointing convention committee. The MPC elects officers from among its membership. MPC meetings are held at announced times during each Worldcon and are open to all attending members of that Worldcon.
Worldcon Intellectual Property (WIP), a California non-profit public benefit corporation recognized as a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt charitable organization by the US Internal Revenue Service, owns the WSFS service marks in selected locations and manages them on behalf of WSFS. WIP’s Board of Directors consists of all members of the MPC plus one non-voting member from California appointed by the MPC in the event that there are no California residents on the MPC.
Worldcon Intellectual Property Organizational Documents
Membership List (Last updated September 21, 2019)
Membership terms last through the final adjournment of the WSFS Business Meeting at the Worldcon held in the indicated year.
- Judith Bemis (Elected until 2021)
- Stephen Boucher (Elected until 2021)
- John Coxon (Interim Appointment until 2021*)
- Cliff Dunn (Appointed by Discon III until 2023)
- Linda Deneroff (Secretary, Interim Appointment until 2021*)
- Paul Dormer (Appointed by Dublin 2019 until 2021)
- Donald E. Eastlake 3rd (Chair, Elected until 2021)
- Bruce Farr (Treasurer, Appointed by Board Resolution (non-voting Californian) until 2021)
- Dave McCarty (Interim Appointment until 2021*)
- Ron Oakes (Appointed by Columbus NASFiC 2020 until 2022)
- Daniel Spector (Appointed by CoNZeland until 2022)
- Kevin Standlee (Elected until 2022)
- Jo Van Ekeren (Elected until 2022)
- Mike Willmoth (Appointed by SpikeCon/2019 NASFiC until 2021)
- Ben Yalow (Elected until 2022)
- Vacant (Appointed by Chicon 8 until 2024)
*The 2020 WSFS Business Meeting adjourned without electing members for three-year terms ending 2023. Under the authority of Section 1.8.3 of the WSFS Constitution, the MPC appointed the members whose terms expired in 2020 to serve until the next WSFS Business Meeting. The 2021 WSFS Business Meeting with therefore elect a total of six members: three full 3-year terms and two 2-year terms.